Green Tomato relish
20 minPrep Time
1 hr, 15 Cook Time
1 hr, 35 Total Time
- 900g green tomatoes
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 small fresh green chilli pepper, cut in half lengthwise (or dried chilli to taste)
- 2 tsp dried mint
- Wash, dry and peel the green tomatoes. Cut in half, remove and discard the hard stem and dice the flesh removing most of the seeds.
- Place the tomatoes in a non-reactive pan with next three ingredients.
- Cook for about 15 minutes over a high heat, stirring from time to time, then let cool a little.
- Add the next three ingredients.
- Turn the heat down to medium and cook for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat further, add 1 tsp of dried mint, and simmer for another 20 mins, until very soft.
- Remove from the heat, add the remaining tsp of dried mint, stir well and spoon into sterilized jars.
- Cover while still hot and let cool before storing in the fridge.
- If you want to keep your jars of relish in a cupboard, process for 10 mins in a water bath.
- This relish will keep for 2-3 months in the fridge or for one year if sealed in a water bath.